History of Alma Park
Mr T H Drinkwater, a businessman who lived in the Levenshulme area early in the 20th century, was very concerned about the education of local children. He contacted the Education Committee to say he would donate the required land if he could design and build a school himself.
This project developed and Alma Park Primary School opened as an all age elementary school in 1907. The school was completely remodelled in the mid-1980s and has been extended to include two new classrooms and a community unit. The school is two form entry with a standard number of 60 children in each year group. There is also a 52 place nursery.
In 1994 the school became Barrier Free and from September 1994 the school has also been a resource for pupils with hearing impairment. In 1995 further modifications to the buildings were made to support the learning needs of these children. In April 2003 a further extension of two classrooms and a library were added to accommodate the school’s increasing numbers. In 2004, further re-modelling provided new classrooms and work areas.
Classes are mixed ability and the number on roll is approximately 470, including the nursery. The school is committed to developing a caring, stimulating, learning environment for all children and delivering a high quality education where all children achieve success.
A wide variety of cultural backgrounds are represented in school with 22 first languages spoken by the children. Children are encouraged to learn about and respect other people’s beliefs and cultural heritage.